At JIMCO, we Build Bridges . . .
What does that mean? The fundamental concept of the ‘bridge’ is one of ‘connection’. Bridges have been gateways and conduits for humankind since the very beginning.
They have served to open new territories for exploration, trade and development. Provided quick access solving many problems over seemingly insurmountable obstacles such rivers, gorges and waterways. They have joined communities together, to share people, capital, ideas, language, and culture – they have enabled development and growth.
This connection and the symbolic power of the bridge is at the very heart of what JIMCO seeks to achieve through our investments:
- We are creating bridges for entrepreneurs, breakthrough thinkers and start-ups – enabling them to take their ideas across from concept, to commercialization.
- We aim to create a bridge for our society: from the future, to the present, from tomorrow-to-today, accelerating emergent technologies, business models and innovative thinking that improves our world, to market.
- We strive to build bridges that can overcome obstacles and problems, and thereby help address some of the major challenges facing humanity today. For example, our dedicated JIMCO Life Sciences Fund is investing to ‘accelerate access to modern health care for those who need it most.’
As JIMCO is investing in businesses across diverse sectors – some of which the Jameel Family’s commercial businesses through Abdul Latif Jameel, do not yet have an operational presence – this also creates a bridge to further the diversification through opportunities for operationalization and future growth.
We recognize that our investment approach can, and should, have a material impact on the world around us.
Taking a responsible approach to our investment decisions aligns JIMCO with the long-held values of the Jameel Family and recognizes that sustainable prosperity requires a move away from short-term profit as the only definition of value.
Our responsible investment strategy seeks to integrate Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) factors into all of our investment analysis and decision making.
A Principled Approach . . .
Taking responsible investment seriously is not merely a topical marketing approach, it is plain and simple good business. And something the Jameel Family has been committed to for nearly eight decades.
Believing in the power of private capital to effect positive change, we’re committed to these principles in looking forward to help to build a more circular, inclusive, and sustainable economy.
This is a transformation already underway.
In today’s global investment marketplace, several substantive forces are driving the rise of responsible investment. These include:
- Improving returns: we recognize that embracing ESG factors both explicitly and systematically can both aid risk mitigation and positively influence returns.
- Societal demand & impact: as awareness rapidly matures, both consumers and society are increasingly scrutinizing the environmental and social impacts of the businesses whose products they buy or that they invested in.
- Regulation: has significantly increased driven by a realization that the sector can play a leading role in meeting global challenges such as climate change, sustainable energy and mobility, education and equality, and much more. This is a philosophy shared by the Jameel Family and you can learn more here.
Although as private family investor, we are not signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment, we strive to constantly adhere to their fundamental ethos, we will:
- incorporate ESG issues into our investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- work to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.